Tallanstown has won the ‘International Challenge small population category’ of the 2011 National Edition of Communities in Bloom, receiving a 5 Bloom rating and a special mention for the local TidyTowns Committee.
The Village of Tallanstown also received the Tidiness Outstanding Achievement Award, presented by Communities in Bloom.
Following their evaluation of the community, volunteer judges Alex Pearl (Lebanon, Ohio, USA) and Berta Briggs (Wetaskiwin, AB) commented: “With a population of fewer than eight hundred, Tallanstown is a rural village in north County Louth. Thirty years ago the village formed a TidyTowns Committee towards the improvement of appearance and civic pride in the community. Today the Committee of thirty is still going strong, with incredible community support. Each year the residents are surveyed on what projects they deem most important and the Committee finds a way to meet residents’ expectations. The Tallanstown TidyTowns Committee has created a tidy, proud, heartily engaged, and beautiful community”.
In 2010, Tallanstown, after many years of community effort, was awarded the title of Ireland’s Tidiest Town in the National TidyTowns Competition (pictured here).
As result of this success, Tallanstown were selected to represent Ireland in the International 2011 Communities in Bloom competition.
Result book below, you can also see the results under this linkby AK-Admin
New Glyde Rangers mural can be viewed along the football field wall, opposite the entrance to Cherrywood Park estate (just next to the traffic calming hump).
This mural depicts a Glyde Rangers football player and was created by Rhoda Matthews and Carmel McCabe.
This creation utilises old pieces of plywood and recycled car tyres, provided by Crumb Rubber at Dromiskin. The rubber was dyed to create the various aspects of the mural including the specific colour required to create the Glyde Rangers team colours. The girls would like to thank Rory at Crumb Rubber for his input with the coloring of this mural.by AK-Admin
Fine intact sizeable demesne for early 18th century house; later landscape park created for house when it was remodelled and added to from late 18th century. Retains much of this layout.by AK-Admin
Ringfort at Rathbrist, Tallanstown, Co. Louth
Farmstead enclosure of the Early Christian period, in fields east of the village of Tallanstownby AK-Admin
Modest demesne for former late 18th century house. Now replaced by an elegant Victorian house, placed in a prominent position with fine vistas south. Open lawns to south with mature trees east and west; those of the west side ornamental and exotic. Grounds at house and approach drive maintained to high standard.by AK-Admin
Knockabbey Castle and Gardens reflect the constantly changing fortunes of its owners for more than six centuries. The numerous additions and changes evident in the castle and gardens are like different chapters in a book; all telling different stories about different periods and people.
When it was first built in 1399, it was called Thomastown Castle and consisted only of a simple square building; the tower house where the interpretative centre is now housed. This structure offered its owners, the Bellews, comfort and security at a time when skirmishes between the native Irish and the New English and Norman settlers were quite common.
Reflecting their prestige and position, the Bellews extended the tower house to the west around 1650. That extension with its original stairwell and its elegant six-bayed facade still exists today.
The Bellew family fortunes changed when Roger Bellew supported the deposed Catholic King James II against King William of England. Following William’s victory over James’s troops at the Battle of the Boyne, Bellew’s estate was confiscated and mortgaged to a new owner.by AK-Admin
The Old Parish graveyard of Tallanstown is situated to the south of the village on the east side of the R171 between Tallanstown and Ardee. It is on a slight rise and is nearly curricular in form, dry stone walls surround it on the field side. Dressed stone is on either side of the entrance gate. The road cuts into its western side. This might support local folk memory of graves disturbed and bones scattered during road construction. In Sir John Ainsworth’s report on the Louth Papers in the National library there is a reference in 1798 to a presentment made by the Co Louth Grand Jury. This was for two new roads one made and the other projected which included the turn to Tallanstown under the supervision of Lord Louth. Or perhaps it happened when the gateway was constructed in 1868.
A report on the graveyard dated 30th March 1953 suggests that due to overcrowding steps should be taken to discontinue burials, as certain parts of this ground could not be opened without disturbing human bones. There are two vaults in the cemetery and on the opposite side across the public road there is a mausoleum containing the remains of the Barons of Louth.
In July 1953 the county medical officer again recommended closure citing availability of alternate burial grounds for both denominations close at hand in Charlestown and Reaghstown. He commented on the irregular contour of the graveyard in some places fifteen feet over road level, the absence of any paths, the uneven surface, grave spaces not level, overgrowth, shrubs and matted grass.
Today the only obvious vault is that of the Filgate family. The mausoleum of the Plunkett family, Barons of Louth, is in the grounds of the former family demesne on the opposite side of the road. It is in a small enclosure now privately owned.
A prominent feature of the graveyard is arched gateway erected by the tenants to the memory of Thomas William Filgate. This is incorrectly ascribed to William Filgate in the Buildings of Ireland.
‘Tallanstown Churchyard (C of I) flamboyant mid-Victorian gothic gateway erected by tenantry in memory of William Filgate. Thin pointed arch set in an exceptionally tall gabled hood, flanked with octagonal piers and pinnacles on either side.by AK-Admin
All the information available online about Sir Vere Foster (click on the photo)
Landowners of County Louth
In 1865 William Yeates, the manager of the Company’s Dublin’s branch introduced Vere Foster to the firm. Vere Foster was a wealthy Anglo-Irish philanthropist with an interest in public education.
Marcus Ward and Company, Belfast, became the printer for these highly popular works, although Foster continued to control the publishing of them. Their popularity led to a total of over four million of them being produced.
So successful was this activity that in the 1870’s the firm built new premises in Dublin Road, Belfast, partly on the strength of it. The relationship between Vere Foster and the Company broke down in a series of acrimonious disputes and eventual litigation. Foster eventually withdrew his lucrative business from the Company. This loss was certainly a factor in the final closure of the Company. source
The original Old School Buiding in Tallanstown built in 1840 and first used as a classroom in that year for both boys and girls. The two original name plaques are still preserved along with the date plaque on the building, its original features and railings are still in use and it has undergone renovation and restoration work in 2004. Situated as it is, a mere three miles from Glyde Court the home of the family, it was inveitable that Sir Vere Foster played a major part in the building of the old school.
As tribute to the work of sir Vere the school in Tallanstown was named after him and the new school in the village which was built in 1966 has retained the name. The only other school in Ireland named after Sir Vere is Ballymurphy in Belfast, a small tribute to such a brilliant and dedicated individual.by AK-Admin
Just outside Tallanstown village on the road to Carrickmacross stands an earthen mound known locally as “The Mount”. This may have been the remains of Motte and Bailey but is more likely to have been one of a series of man made lookout towers that stretch across the county towards the Cooley Peninsula. In years gone by it was the location for the local “Patron” held annually on the 29th of June. This event attracted visitors from far and wide and was a source of great entertainment to all present. The Mount now forms part of the delightfully designed Amenity Park, where visitors can “tarry awhile”.
Almost directly South East of Louth Hall is the equally famous Glyde Court unfortunately now also deserted and in decay. This once proud building was the ancestral Home of Sir Vere Foster famous in Irish history for his outstanding contribution to the development of education in 19th Century Ireland. Visits of the building may be arranged locally.
For more photos and informations about Glyde Court please go to Abandoned Ireland
And second movie – much longerby AK-Admin