The Old Parish graveyard of Tallanstown is situated to the south of the village on the east side of the R171 between Tallanstown and Ardee. It is on a slight rise and is nearly curricular in form, dry stone walls surround it on the field side. Dressed stone is on either side of the entrance gate. The road cuts into its western side. This might support local folk memory of graves disturbed and bones scattered during road construction. In Sir John Ainsworth’s report on the Louth Papers in the National library there is a reference in 1798 to a presentment made by the Co Louth Grand Jury. This was for two new roads one made and the other projected which included the turn to Tallanstown under the supervision of Lord Louth. Or perhaps it happened when the gateway was constructed in 1868.
A report on the graveyard dated 30th March 1953 suggests that due to overcrowding steps should be taken to discontinue burials, as certain parts of this ground could not be opened without disturbing human bones. There are two vaults in the cemetery and on the opposite side across the public road there is a mausoleum containing the remains of the Barons of Louth.
In July 1953 the county medical officer again recommended closure citing availability of alternate burial grounds for both denominations close at hand in Charlestown and Reaghstown. He commented on the irregular contour of the graveyard in some places fifteen feet over road level, the absence of any paths, the uneven surface, grave spaces not level, overgrowth, shrubs and matted grass.
Today the only obvious vault is that of the Filgate family. The mausoleum of the Plunkett family, Barons of Louth, is in the grounds of the former family demesne on the opposite side of the road. It is in a small enclosure now privately owned.
A prominent feature of the graveyard is arched gateway erected by the tenants to the memory of Thomas William Filgate. This is incorrectly ascribed to William Filgate in the Buildings of Ireland.
‘Tallanstown Churchyard (C of I) flamboyant mid-Victorian gothic gateway erected by tenantry in memory of William Filgate. Thin pointed arch set in an exceptionally tall gabled hood, flanked with octagonal piers and pinnacles on either side.by AK-Admin